Middletown is a township in Monmouth County, New Jersey, with a population of approximately 66,522and is one of the oldest sites of European settlement in New Jersey. Middletown was originally founded on October 31, 1693 (that’s right, Halloween). It is now known as being one of the best places to live in the United States due to its low crime rate,prosperity, access to cultural activities, public school system, and excellent commuting location.
Not only is Middletown a wonderful place to live but it is a beautiful place to visit. There is so much to do and see. So if you are new to Middletown or you are just visiting here are some things that you absolutely must do in Middletown NJ.
- Deep Cut Gardens – Tucked away,the Deep Cut Gardens are a place that you must visit. Filled with history, gardens are beautiful in every season. If you want to visit a place where you can take beautiful photos, this is it!Also, make sure that you check out the greenhouses! You can see the beautiful orchids, ferns, and beautiful mature bonsai.
- Sandy Hook Lighthouse – If you find history amazing you’ll want to visit the Sandy Hook Lighthouse, the oldest working lighthouse in the United States. The Sandy Hook Lighthouse was built on June 11, 1764 by Isaac Conro. This historic landmark was originally built to aid mariners entering the southern boundary of the New York Harbor. It was occupied by British soldiers during the Revolutionary War, and following which was transferred to federal authority. While you are visiting the lighthouse you should visit…
- Fort Hancock- a former United States Army fort located at Sandy Hook. In 1893, Fort Hancock installed the nation’s first disappearing gun battery in the 1950s anti-aircraft missiles from Project Nike were based at FortHancock. It is now a memorial park.
- Huber Woods Park – If you’re visiting Middletown and you want to go for a nice stroll, Huber Woods Park is a great flat walk in nature. You get to witness the beautiful wild all around you. Just be cautious that you don’t get lost, and enjoy.
- Ideal Beach- If you want a quiet waterfront place to have a picnic, this is the place for you. While there are no shops right by it, it is the perfect quiet place for an intimate date.
- The Gravity Vault- this huge rock climbing gym is a fun way to get your exercise and a little adrenaline going at the same time.
- Moses D. Heath Farm Exhibit – This is fun for people of all ages, offering a variety of exhibits includinga blacksmith shop,an educational garden, a sugar cane mill, and exhibits of antique farming tools and more. This museum discovers the influence of farming on the region, as well as traces the history of the Heath family.